Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I finally got my student sticker!

I've been waiting for this sticker for almost a week now and am soooo incredibly happy I finally got it. I registered for 4 classes and I still need 14 more ECTS (7 Purdue credits worth of courses). I don't know what else to take, I've already signed up for 3 economic courses and I'm still debating on a business course. I'm also looking for a wine course, which would be pretty neat since I'm in Austria. For those of you who don't know, Austria is well known for their dry white wines. Vienna in particular produces Riesling, Chardonnay, and Pinot Blanc. yummy.

Oh speaking of classes, I went to my first one. It's called Global Networking, which is a seminar course focusing on global sustainablity. The lecture was pretty intense. The topic today was techniques for modifying plants like inserting the desired gene into plant. I kinda glazed over the last 20 min of class when they started talking about RNA loops and plant defense mechanisms.

The cool part of the course is we have lectures then have tele-conferences with various schools in Europe and the U.S.
Next week, my group gets to do a tele-conference with Georgia, Florida, and a university in Italy? Our discussion topic is on Golden Rice, which is a rice that has been modified so it is vitamin A rich. It's targeted market is India, where people do not receive sufficient amounts of nutrients. Pretty neat stuff.


1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a blast :) have lots of fun... imma gonna start work in a week... -_- it's like the iron curtain on life i tell you. Americans freakin' "live to work" whereas the rest of the world "works to live" Damn little vacation. *sigh oh well... enjoy europe!!!

    ReplyDelete